Treating metastases from uveal melanoma
What treatments are there for metastases from uveal melanoma?
- systemic chemotherapy, administering cytotoxic drugs orally or intravenously.
- intrahepatic chemotherapy, injecting cytotoxic drugs into blood vessels supplying the liver.
- biologic therapy, using agents that stimulate the immune system or block stimulators of tumor growth.
- selective intrahepatic radiotherapy, injecting tiny radioactive beads into the blood vessels supplying any tumors in the liver.
- partial hepatectomy, removing parts of the liver that contain tumor.
- liver transplantation, removing the entire liver and replacing it with a transplant from a deceased donor.
- palliative care, aimed only at preventing discomfort.