- Vitreous seeding from retinoblastoma.
- Vitreous seeds near the proposed injection site.
- Extensive retinal detachment.
- An ultrasound scan is performed to ensure that it is safe to administer the injection.
- The eye is softened by gently pressing on the eye or draining some fluid from the anterior chamber.
- A small dose of melphalan is injected into the eye, with a very fine needle.
- Cryotherapy is administered to the site of the injection to kill any tumor seeds that might have been implanted there.
- Steroid and antibiotic drops are administered.
The treatment needs to be repeated several times.